Instagram is one of the biggest social media platforms out there. It generates tons of user engagement, drives conversions, and boosts sales. But let’s not beat around the bush, we all love some good old statistics, concrete evidence – that’s what we’ll dive into today.
This 6th biggest social media platform is constantly growing, and with its current reach, Instagram marketing is something that every brand should at least consider. In this article we’re going to cover 3 general areas of stats: usage, demographics, and business.
Instagram usage statistics
1 billion monthly active users
As of June 2018, there are nearly 1 billion monthly active users on Instagram. That’s a huge number considering the size of other major social media platforms:
Instagram isn’t even slowing down. Between June 2016 and June 2018, the number of monthly active users has doubled.
More than 500 million daily active users
Half of all monthly active users log onto Instagram every day – that’s a heavily active user base! This gives influencers, brands, and individuals a great land of opportunities.
500+ million daily active Instagram Stories users
Instagram Stories hit 500 million daily active users in January 2019. That’s up by 100 million since June 2018! The number is growing rapidly. Stories can be a formidable weapon in the hands of a marketer. They let you build anticipation, drive traffic to your website, showcase your products and services, go behind the scenes of your business, get feedback from customers, and more. They are being constantly improved so that we can create better interactive visuals. Instagram Stories are also integrated with the platform’s shopping features.
120 million Instagram users in the US
As of January 2020, there are 119 700 000 Instagram users in the United States of America. This means that 36.1% of the entire US population is using Instagram! To check current social media statistics for any country in the world, check out our free browser here. The data is updated monthly.
- The majority of users were women – 55.9%.
- People aged 25 to 34 were the largest user group (43 000 000).
- The highest difference between men and women occurs within people aged 35 to 44, where women lead by 3 400 000.
25+ million businesses are on Instagram
Business is booming. There are more than 25 million brands on Instagram and over 80% of users follow at least one brand. This means that if you decide to set up an Instagram account for your brand, you will most likely gain some following.
100+ million photos & videos uploaded everyday
We all know that content is what drives engagement on Instagram. But with more than 100 million photos & videos uploaded to this social media platform daily, it’s only getting harder and harder to stand out.
There are 4.2 billion likes per day
4.2 billion likes every day – that means that an average user double taps more than once a day, making Instagram a really happy place.
Fun fact: the most liked picture on Instagram is that of an egg, with over 53 million likes:
Instagram followers analytics
Users by country
The three top countries where Instagram is used the most are the United States (110m), Brazil (79m), and India (69m).
You can also try our free stats browser and check the current Instagram user demographics for any country in the world. The data is updated every month.
More user statistics:
- 32% of all Internet users are on Instagram
- 24-35 is the biggest demographics group
Here’s the exact user statistics breakdown by age:
- 13-17 – 6.2%
- 18-24 – 31%
- 25-34 – 34%
- 35-44 – 15.8%
- 45-54 – 7.4%
- 55-64 – 2.9%
- 65+ – 2.8%
Instagram statistics that matter for marketers
2+ million monthly advertisers
Instagram now has more than 2 million monthly advertisers. The number is still growing, as businesses are investing more and more into Story ads.
Brands get around 4% user engagement of their total followers
4% of engagement may not seem like a lot, but if you compare it to the 0.1% from Facebook and Twitter, then Instagram really seems like go-to social network. As a matter of fact, brands experience the highest engagement rates on Instagram.
Videos get 38% more engagement than photos
Video marketing is the hot thing right now, and it clearly shows on Instagram. Video posts receive 38% higher engagement rates than Instagram photos.
Brands usually post more than once a day
If you’re wondering how often your brand should post on Instagram – here lies the answer. On average, brands post 1.5 times a day. This observation was taken from a study of 55 top-performing brands, from different industries.
Social media analytics
Measure your social media marketing results. Track competitors and improve performance using simple dashboards.
Try NapoleonCat free for 14 days. No credit card required.
More Instagram business statistics:
- 9/10 top brands have an Instagram account
- If you look at the top 100 brands in the world, 90% of them have an Instagram account
- The potential reach of Instagram advertising is 802 million
- More than 200 million Instagram users visit at least one business profile every day.
- 60% of all Instagram users discover new products through this social media platform.
- Brands receive 37% of all their impressions from their Stories
- Instagram posts with at least one hashtag get 12.6% more engagement
- Posts with a location tag get 79% more engagement
- One-third of all the users have made a purchase through Instagram shopping features
- Instagram images get around 23% higher engagement than Facebook images
- It can take up to 19 hours for a post to receive 50% of its total engagement.
So there you have it folks, Instagram is a powerhouse among social media platforms, you just have to know how to leverage it. These stats should help you adjust your marketing strategy accordingly.
We also recommend you read some more Instagram tips:
- How to Analyze Competitors on Instagram
- How to Manage Comments on Instagram Ads Like a Pro
- Complete Guide to Instagram Stories in 2020
- How to Get More Comments on Instagram in 2020
- Understand Instagram Analytics in 2020
- How to sell on Instagram in 2020
- User-Generated Content on Instagram
- The ‘How To’ of Instagram Customer Service